Saturday, August 04, 2007

New Contact

So my new job is OK. I never get time to write anymore, which sucks, but I have been able to do some cool stuff. For instance, a la my trip to INTAG, I just got the opportunity to set up an English program in a small Sierra town called Guaranda. I must admit that these types of responsibilities are what drives me to continue life in Ecuador.

It all started a couple of weeks ago while I was investigating possible sites for our volunteers and came across a note that mentioned that someone in Guaranda was interested in receiving volunteers. I sent one of those random cold call emails to the address listed on the piece of srcap paper, not thinking that anything would come of it. PS cold calling is hilarious, especially on email. I wrote something to the effect of,

"Hi. I have never met you before but I have this random piece of paper in my office with your name on it. Let's be friends and start an English Program. "

Sure enough about a week later there was a reply in my inbox that said "Sure. What do we do?" So I sent the big test. We have a document that describes our program for potential participants with a list of questions at the end. You can always tell which schools are serious by how extensive their replies to the questions are. Sometimes you get half assed BS and sometimes you get BS.

Thus you can imagine my suprise when I received a well written document. Happy at the reply I dialed up the contact person in Guaranda and explained that I would like to come visist. The reply?

"Hi Kane. I will send the University's private chofer to come get you on Monday morning."

What? No overnight bus??? No wandering around aimlessly looking for someone that is never going to show up? Could this be true?

Then comes another message. "Kane. I am actually going to come pick you up myself in my own car because I am excited to meet you and hear more about your program."

Wow. Despite the fact that I immediately thought "huge potential for long awkward conversation" this is definitely a first for my organization and me. I write back. "Done. See you on Monday." By the way. "Hecho" is the Spanish word for "Done." Unbeliebly useful. Feel free to bounce this around the states and see if it catches on. Just give credit where credit is due.

Anyway. I am standing around outside my apartment waiting for my ride when I have one of those classic blind date moments. "Are you (insert name here)? No? Oh. Sorry. My B. I mistook you for the other random person I have never met in my life." I continue waiting.

Finally I see a short (suprise!) man approaching me with the blind date look in his eye. I go up and sure enough I have found my contact. "Kung?"

Quick side note: This is one of the weirdest phenomena in Ecuador for me. Since neither the long "a" nor the end of word "n" sound exist in Spanish, my name is one of the most fundamentally butchered names in all of the land. It comes out in a weird hum like sound. I have Ecuadorian friends who always ask me, "Why don't you just have people call you by an Ecuadorian name? It would be way easier." My response? It's a cultural experience.

Anyway I hop in the car with my first Guarandenos. My contact, Christian is missing an arm but looks cheery and happy. His wife is beautiful, but quiet. His daughter is a little gordita cutie. Off we go...

TBC

1 Comments:

Blogger anonymous said...

Hey, Kung, maybe the could pronounce, "Fin"!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home